1. Buy stock in chocolate chips. Cookies on the fly are amazing.
2. Shower baths are like a waterfalls, and a great way to entice your child to bathe.
3. Macaroni and cheese must be from a box. Toddlers do not love vegan mac n’ cheese. Not loving = not eating lunch.
4. Easiest way to get a kid to eat zucchini is to make Dessert Zucchini Bread (recipe below) with chocolate chips.
5. Toddlers sing everything. Music makes magic. (This is the reason behind so many potty songs!)
6. When people tell you that your toddler will relapse after you think they are potty trained, believe them.
7. Keep frozen veggies and pasta in the house at all times. Kids love pasta.
8. All kids are different, and advice is child-specific. With kids, you can’t compare-DON’T COMPARE.
9. Use your local library. Storytimes are invaluable and free.
10. People will think things about you, as a mom, a woman and a person. Don’t care what they think. No one has that kind of time. Don’t adopt other people’s insecurities.
VEGAN ZUCCHINI BREAD
Yield: 2 loaves
6 tbsp ground flax seeds
½ c warm water
2 c turbinado sugar (or light brown sugar)
½ c oil
½ c applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
2 to 2½ c grated zucchini (~3 medium-sized ones)
3 c whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 c chocolate chips
Grease two loaf pans. Mix together flax seeds and warm water. Add sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla; beat well.
Add grated zucchini; stir til combined. In a separate bowl, sift together remaining dry ingredients.
Add dry mixture to wet and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened and everything is incorporated evenly; some lumps are fine.
If adding additional mix-ins, fold them in now. Divide batter between prepared pans.
Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before slicing.